A word having the same or almost the same meaning as another is called synonyms. Synonyms are similar words that have a connected meaning to another word. Synonyms can be rescuers, specifically when a student wants to avoid using repetitive words frequently. Most times the appropriate word is hard to find in that case synonyms come in handy. Using the same word to voice a moment or thought or while reading, writing, and speaking using the same word would become awfully dull and tedious. All words consist of synonyms to relish our communication.
Words that are synonyms are agreed to be synonymous and the state of being a synonym is called synonymy.
A synonym might share a same meaning with an additional word, but the two words are not inevitably similar. Adverbs, adjectives, nouns, prepositions and verbs can have a synonym provided both words are of the same part of speech.Example:
- Adverbs - kindly, quickly, instantly, rapidly, promptly, swiftly
- Adjectives - beautiful, elegant, graceful, charming, exquisite, cute
- Nouns - house, home, apartment, mansion, residence, shack
- Preposition - before, earlier, ahead, since, previously, sooner
- Verbs - collect, assemble, gather, compile, array, save