A homophone is a word that differs in the meaning but is pronounced the same as another word. In a homophone usually the words sound alike, they have exactly the same sound but different meaning and spelling. Homophones usually occur in groups of two but sometimes they can be three or four in a group. Its important to identify and use the right word in a sentence because the spelling can change the entire meaning of a sentence.
Example: carat, caret, carrot, and karat.
Words with different spelling but pronounced alike are called Homophones. Mentioned below are few homophones with similar pronunciation and different meanings.
|Sometimes there can be more than one two words which sounds alike however can mean entirely different.
Choose the words that are homophones in the below mentioned sentences:
|awe, oar, or, ore
||palate, palette, pallet
| aisle, I'll, isle
|| pair, pare, pear
| bight, bite, byte
|| peak, peek, peke, pique
| bel, bell, belle
|| pause, paws, pores, pours
| buy, by, bye
|| right, rite, wright, write
|braise, brays, braze
|| saw, soar, sore
| censer, censor, sensor
|| seas, sees, seize
| cue, kyu, queue
||there, their, they're
| cite, sight, site
|| taught, taut, tort
|doe, doh, dough
|| vain, vane, vein
| flew, flu, flue
|| wail, wale, whale
| for, fore, four
|| ware, wear, where
| heal, heel, he'll
|| weal, we'll, wheel
| meat, meet, mete
|| way, weigh, whey
| praise, prays, preys
|| yaw, yore, your, you're
- Place an ad in the newspapers to add to your chances of reaching the right market.
- Oh! To be able to fly from flower to flower like a bee that gathers honey.
- "Aye", said the sailor, "I saw the pirate with a black patch over one eye."
- Her loving beau brought a bow for her hair.
- The robbers had a hidden cache of diamonds, jewelry and cash.
- The doorbell rang and the butler let her in. She was the belle of the ball
- The ant crawled upon the shoe of our Aunt Jean.
- Have you read the story about the tortoise and the hare?
- Aid and comfort is accorded to every patient by the nurses aide.
- I was so hungry while stranded on the isle that I ate as many as eight raw fish everyday.
Fill in the blanks with the right Homophones:
- I didn't ____ what he said. (here, hear)
- The castle is by the ____. (sea, see)
- John tried to ____ the painting. (steal, steel)
- She's as mad as a March ____. (hair, hare)
- It's made from wheat ____. (flower, flour)
- On the ____, I enjoyed it. (hole, whole)
- The book is ____ back at the library in two weeks. (dew, due)
- Don't tell them anything- they're not very ____. (discrete, discreet)
- A person who produces chicken is a ____ farmer. (paltry, poultry)
- James gave her a ____ of his mind. (piece, peace)