The most reasonable ideas in the world, voiced in the most beautiful sentences, will move no one unless those ideas are perfectly connected. Students have always received criticism about a written assignment and projects, to use more transition words, which is where a list of transition words come in handy. If you don’t want your papers or written piece to sound like a long string of transition words, consider adding transition words when appropriate in order to spice up the work and to make the segments flow effortlessly from one to another.
There are four basic considerations in providing transitions between ideas:
repeating key words and phrases, using pronoun reference,using parallel form and using transitional expressions.
Providing transitions between ideas is predominantly a matter of attitude.
Transitional expedients include pronouns, repetition, and transitional expressions. The connection with words, phrases, clauses, sentences, or entire paragraphs, between two parts of a piece of writing, contributing to adherence is called Transition words. English transition words are important, since they not only connect ideas and beliefs, but also accustom a certain alteration, disparity or opposition, attention, stress or accord, purpose, desire, result or conclusion, etc. in the line of disagreement.Transitions are words and phrases that serve as bridges from on idea to the next, one sentence to the next, or one paragraph to the next.Transition examples are found:
- Between Paragraphs
- Within Paragraphs
- Between Sections
A word or phrase that shows how the meaning of one sentence is related
to the meaning of the preceding sentence are called Transition words.
Transitional expressions between and within a paragraph help the reader
move from one detail supporting point in an essay to the next. The
transitions shouldn’t be tough and monotonous even though the essay is
organized.Transitional words and phrases can make influential relations
between ideas in essays and can help readers understand the reasoning
and intellectual of your paper.
Transition words can also be used when connecting two independent clauses with a semicolon. To use transition words in this way, your sentence structure follows:
Independent clause + semicolon + transition word + comma + independent clauseExample:
|| Most significant
||On the whole
|| As a matter of fact
You do not need a Transition between every word and idea of a sentence, but its always good to use Transitions in a paragraph. Below mentioned are several ways transitions can e used. The Transitional words are classified to emphasize or to :
Transition to Emphasize a point
- Transition to emphasize a point
- Transition to Show location
- Transition to Compares items
- Transition to Contrasts items
- Transition to Show Time
- Transition to Clarify
- Transition to Information
- Transition to Conclude or Summarize
- Transitions to Enumerate
Transition to Show Location
| for this reason
||another key point
||important to realize
| most compelling evidence
|| most important information
|| key point
|| on the positive side
|| point often overlooked
| to emphasize
|| first thing to remember
|| in fact
|| to repeat
| on the negative side
|| with this in mind
|| must be remembered
|| surprisingly enough
| significant that
|| to point out
Transition to Compares Items
|| back of
|| in front of
|| away from
|| on top of
|| in the center of
|| to the left
|| to the right
|| in the middle of
|| here and there
|| opposite to
|| to the left/ right
Transition to Contrast Items
| in the same way
|| in conjunction with this
|| comparable to
|| in the same manner
|| just as
Transitions to Show Time
|| on the contrary
|| on the other hand
|| in spite of this
| even so
||as opposed to
|| even though
|| counter to
|| in the mean time
Transition to Clarify
| at the same time
|| as soon as
|| next week
|| next time
|| next year
|| in the meantime
|| prior to
| second next
Transition to Information
|| for instance
|| that is
|| in other words
| seems clear from this
|| stated differently
|| put another way
| to clarify
|| to illustrate the point
|| to emphasize
|| to explain
Transition to Conclude or Summarize
|| for instance
|| equally important
|| in addition
| for example
|| as well
|| along with
|| together with
Transition to Enumerate
||as a result
| in short
|| in summary
|| in the last analysis
|| in conclusion
| logical conclusion is
|| all in all
|| to conclude
| due to
|| in closing
These transitions are to be used as sets.
||in the beginning
|| equally important
|| another significant
|| toward the middle
|| most important
|| of greatest significance
|| at the end
|| in addition
Transition words help a written essay or paper work flow easily and smoothly. Transition words must fall naturally throughout the composition. The purpose of Transitions are:
- Transitions are phrases or words used to connect one idea to the next
- Different transition words do different things
- Transitions are used to help progress from one significant idea to the next
- Transitions convey information clearly and concisely
- Transitions also show the relationship within a paragraph or a sentence, between the main idea and the support given for those ideas
- Transitions are words with particular meanings that tell the reader to think and react in a particular way to the ideas.
- Using transitions guides through the paper and increases the relationship between one part of the paper or argument and another.
Mentioned below are few Transition examples:
Complete each sentence or paragraph by selecting the transition (word or phrase) that best fits in each blank.
- Students should be on time. Furthermore, they must be prepared.
- Not only did my brother break his leg, but he also bruised his rib.
- Cheating is dishonest. Moreover, it hinders students from learning.
- He hates housecleaning. On the other hand, he doesn't mind cooking.
- Despite the fact that Katie is good at tennis, she lost the match.
- In conclusion, I feel that she deserves to win the scholarship.
- He was late to class again. In other words, he didn't wake up on time.
- James is not feeling well. Therefore, he will not be here today.
- You can either ride the bus or walk to my apartment.
- Even though the book is difficult to read, it is very interesting.
- Women usually enjoy shopping. In contrast, men often dislike it.
- Bill earned an A on his essay, but Susan got a B.
- I have been to many countries. For example, I have been to Lebanon, Canada, Germany, Brazil and Scotland.
- My friend hates skiing for several reasons. The first reason is that she dislikes being cold. Another reason is that she often falls.
- _____, raising animals for food uses valuable land, water, and energy.
- One reason people have dogs is for companionship; _______ is for protection.
- _________ Angry Birds is a new game; it has quickly become very popular.
- ______, this temperature increase is not an isolated occurrence.
- _____, some Christians believe the books are compatible with Christianity,_____, that they embody basic Christian beliefs.
- He often eats strange foods. __________, he once ate cow brains.
- I love fruit. _________, I like mangoes, pineapple, and strawberries.
- I am not going out tonight. ______,I will stay home and watch a video.
- The plan needed only two things to succeed—___________, time and money.
- I know you don't like to study. _________, you must pass your exam.
- ________, I believe that she is a bright student.
- I like _____that person _______ his brother.
- Roderic is ______ an outstanding teacher, _______ he is ________ a gourmet cook.
- I like to travel. __________, I enjoy places with old cathedrals.
- _______ I met my former boyfriend, I never really understood the meaning of the word unreliable.
Underline the Transitions from each of the following sentence:
- Reading is an excellent way to increase your vocabulary. Furthermore, it can also help you improve your grammar.
- The steak was delicious likewise the scallops were marvelous.
- The weather is supposed to be terrible on Tuesday thus all flights out of Chicago will
- most likely be canceled.
- Larry will probably be a late bloomer socially, just like his older brothers.
- A water main downtown broke this morning, so several businesses had no water for hours.
- Bob did not like going to the dentist. However, it was something that just had to be done.
- Barbara returned home after curfew last night; consequently, he is grounded for two weeks.
- I would love to stay and help you clean your room however I think I hear my mother
- Natalie went to the shop to get her hair done meanwhile Samantha and her mother went shopping for dresses at the mall.
List the following:
- List two transitions that show contrast:
- List two transitions used to introduce examples:
- List the three transitions that signal a major idea:
- List two transitions used to add another example:
- What transition is used to signal the conclusion?
- List two transitions that shows similarity: