possessive caseTest Yourself
1. Identify the antecedents of the underlined pronouns.
- Emma sings in the choir and her brother plays in the band.
- The wonderful thing about the opening ceremony of FIFA World Cup was that it lasted only for half an hour.
- The first match was played between Brazil and Croatia. It was a tough fight between both the teams.
- The crowd enjoyed every moment of the first day. They were cheering their team.
- The mobile industry seems to change its products daily.
2. Choose the correct personal pronoun from the bracket to complete the passage.
Little Red Riding Hood promised _______ (he, she, her, his) mother that _________ (he, she, her, his) wouldn’t speak to strangers on the way to her grandmother’s house. However, _______ (he, she, her, his) was tempted to collect the flowers for _________ (he, she, her, his) grandmother. Suddenly, a wolf appeared beside _______ (he, she, it, her) and asked in a friendly voice “What are you doing here, little girl?” Little Red Riding Hood replied that ___________ (he, she, it, her) on her way to her grandma’s house. The wolf planned to eat them and ran to them granny’shouse and gobbled______ (he, she, her, his) up. He then wore the grandma’s nightgown and covered _____ (its, hers, his) face with the blanket. Little Red Riding Hood didn’t suspect that something was wrong until the wolf leapt out of the bed and began to chase ________ (he, she, it, her). ________ (He, She, It, Her) screamed and cried for help. A woodcutter ______ (who, whom, which, that) was chopping logs nearby heard __________ (its, her, his) cry and rushed towards the cottage with an axe. _________ (He, His, She, Her) hit the wolf and rescued the grandmother. The woodcutter carried the wolf deep into the forest where he wouldn’t bother people any longer. Little Red Riding Hood had learned ____ (his, her, its, their) lesson and never spoke to strangers ever again.
3. Fill in the blank spaces with who, whom, whose, which, or that.
- We wondered ______ car this is.
- The gift ____________ you gave me on my birthday is very precious to me.
- The old man __________ has been abandoned by his son now leaves in an old age home.
- This is the lane ____________ connects to the main road.
- The boy ___________ we trust will not let us down.
4. Combine the following sentences using relative pronouns.
- Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo has more than 1,500 animals on nearly 60 lush acres. Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo is in Tampa Bay, Florida.
- Sports Times is an interesting sports magazine. Sports Times covers all kinds of games played at a city level.
- Samuel is a child prodigy. Samuel has been awarded graduation degree at the age of 10.
- We have a refrigerator. It has four doors.
- The kid has created a unique picture using variety of materials. The kid’s parents have been helping him in his creative pursuit.
5. Complete the sentences using Interrogative pronouns:
- ______________ did you say to the child to make her laugh?
- ___________ do you think will enter the competition?
- ____________ gave the signal to release the water from the dam?
- _____________ of these video games have you bought?
- ____________ shall we interview next?
6. Identify the case of the underlined pronoun
- The pink dress is mine. It is not hers. ________________
- Charles and I work in the same school. _____________
- Laurie asked for crayons, but I refused to give it to her. __________
- Create a new folder and save the file in it. ____________
- His parents are not willing to send him to tuition. ______
- Hurry up and bring your luggage. _____________
- We sought the advice of our teacher about our problems. ________
- You must be responsible for your actions. ______________
7. Determine whether the underlined pronoun is reflexive or intensive.
- The immigrants prepared themselves for the approaching winter. _________
- She herself must think of a career soon. ______________
- Robert laughed at himself when he realized what he has done. _________
- Bert and his sister repaired the bike themselves. ______________
- The chairman made the cabinet all by himself. ____________
8. Look at these animated pictures and write sentences using this, that, these, those.