English writing expertise is a significant part of communication in English. "Writing" is a method of using letters of the alphabet, punctuation, symbols and spaces to communicate thoughts and ideas in a legible form. We write using a pen/pencil in case of handwriting or a keyboard in case of typing. Good writing communicates your message with clarity and comfort to the audience. Writing is a very important part in English. The skill of strong writing can only come from determination and a lot of practice. Becoming a good writer requires repeated preparation and awareness. Anyone can be a good writer with oodles of practice, time and dedication. Try to keep your sentences plain, clear and well-structured to be a good writer.Writing is a part of the language skills that we learn.
Italics - Writing type that slants to the right is called italic.
Bold - Writing type that is heavier and blacker than the normal is bold.
Writing is the most crucial part of any language. Affluent writing skills create lasting impressions and readers will have an instant positive response. For effective writing which should be easily understood by the reader and grasp interest of the reader must follow some standards. There are many things that are important to acknowledge while effectively writing. A person can write many things but for genuine writing certain points are to be kept in mind. Such as:
- The language used should be more concrete than vague. This means that the style of writing must not raise unnecessary questions in the mind of the reader.
- The active voice should be used wherever possible. We should write in a manner that the subject performing the action and not in the manner that the subject is getting an action.
- Passive voice can be useful in cases where there is a suspense which is not known to the writer.
- Excessive use of “it was”, “there are”, “there is”, “it is” etc. must be avoided.
- Two negatives must not be used in order to make one positive without an appropriate reason. Many a times “not un-” is desirable or even necessary.
- In cases where we offer several ideas, consistent use of grammatical form must be made. This is commonly termed as parallel construction.
- The order of words is very important as it can ruin or even change the sentence.
- The descriptive words and even phrases of such type must be placed closely to the words that they are modifying.
- Use of a fragment in a sentence is not good. This occurs when we do not have a dependent clause or missing an independent clause.
- Proper and appropriate use of punctuation marks is also very important in writing as wrong punctuation can change the meaning of what is written completely. Like, a semicolon must not be used in place of a colon. It can only be used to separate two clauses that are complete, or to separate list items which themselves have punctuation within them.
- The words chosen must be written post proper thinking, as words with similar sense might change the meaning of a sentence.
- The conversation or writing should never be dangling in sentences. They should be clear and must have a sensible meaning.
- The use of pronouns is must be made appropriately. Like I, me, myself. We never write he gave the tickets to I, instead we write he gave the tickets to me. It is more appropriate many a times to use me than myself in many cases.
To write for personal relaxation or taking notes for studies is an example of writing for oneself. Writing a letter to a friend is an example of writing for a targeted audience. Writing Blogs publicly is an example of writing for an unknown audience.
English Writing Styles is the way we use English language. English writing has its own kind and style even if it is not a writer’s personal style. But what is important to note is that the style of writing reflects the meaning of the writing. Some of the writers use a specific style of writing it can be artistic or non-artistic writing. Various styles or designs of an alphabet come in printed letters where each style is called a "font". Most writing visible on a mobile screen or computer, printed texts in magazines, books and newspapers is called "type." See below the 5 different styles of fonts:
- Serif: with little projections or serifs, at the end of most strokes
- Cursive: like handwriting
- Sans-serif: with no serifs
- Fixed-width: like old typewriter lettering
- Fantasy: fancy or artistic
A sentence consists of an independent clause, so it contains a verb and a subject. Paragraphs are combination of sentences that are not at random. The groups of sentences are well organized around a specific topic. The main concept is to stay focused on a single idea. Example:Short simple sentence:
The dog barked.Long simple sentence:
Paul and Charlie have a big argument every summer over where they should spend their summer vacation.All the sentences fall under four categories: Simple sentence
– A sentence with one independent clause is called a simple sentence. A simple sentence can have forty-seven phrases, but only one independent clause. Example:
- Joan and Arthur play football every afternoon.
- Being an English teacher with a fondness for syntactical intricacy, I love to read simple sentences upon getting up and before going to bed.
– A sentence with two or more independent clauses is called a compound sentence. It is joined by a comma followed by a conjunction or a semicolon. Example:
- I love chocolates; my brothers love each other, and we all love holidays.
- Alex played football, so Maria went shopping.
- A sentence that contains one independent clause and one or more dependent clauses is called a complex sentence.Example:
Compound – Complex sentence
- The dog that was in the street howled loudly.
- The dog, although he was well fed, howled loudly.
- Because the dog howled so loudly, the George couldn't eat his hamburger.
- A sentence that contains two or more independent clauses and one or more dependent clauses is called a compound-complex sentence.Example:
- As the dog howled, one cat sat on the fence, and the other licked its paws.
- Chloe could not hear his phone because it had switched off, and he was worried.